It’s DIYCraftPhotography’s 2013 round-up of the web’s most useful articles and blog posts about photographing crafts! You could say we’re just a little obsessed with photographing handmade stuff. :)
Here are 50+ links to product photography tips, sorted by topic. You won’t find much redundant info here – these sites were carefully chosen for their unique info. Nearly all of these links are beginner-friendly with no expensive equipment, software, or cameras required, and most of them come from crafters just like you!
Backgrounds & Photo Styling
- How to Take Photos With a White Background - Two foam core boards make a flawless white background
- How to Make a White Photo Backdrop - White background techniques for large objects (or small children!)
- iHeartNaptime’s Photography Tips - The secret is layering!
- Guide to Styling your Photos - where to find styling accessories plus gorgeous examples
- Expert Tips Photo Styling 101
- How to Create a Wood Background
Composition & Posing
- Feature Perfect Etsy Shop Product Photography
- Product Photography Tips – Rule of thirds and camera angles
- Better Composition and Lighting Tips – Befores and afters!
- Photography Tips for Card Makers and Crafters - Use a camera stand to produce perfectly straight and undistorted photos
- Canon PowerShot A2300 - My favorite camera under $100. If I had to replace my camera tomorrow, I’d get this one.
- Pros and Cons of Various Camera Types Compares DSLR, point and shoot, and smartphone cameras
- Food Photography with a Point and Shoot Camera – Amazing point and shoot photos, and the advice applies to more than just food!
- Tips for Smartphone Photography
- Features to Look for in a Digital Camera – I don’t have a DSLR, but this page is full of beginner-level info about choosing a DSLR
- iPhone and Galaxy Macro Photography Tips – It’s amazing what you can do with a smartphone camera nowadays
- DIY Photography Light Studio Setup - A foldable DIY photo studio and great tips on lighting, such as combining a CFL and an incandescent bulb
- Create a White Background for your Photography - Designed for use indoors with sunlight as the only light source
- DIY Lightbox Product Photography - A novel lighting arrangement gets great results
- Product Photography part 2 - DIY lightbox made from a clear plastic crate and a 4-lamp setup
- How to Get Your Product on the Front Page of Etsy
- Get Featured in Thousands of Etsy Treasuries
- How to get on the Etsy Front Page
- Create a Cohesive Shop
- Craftcount.com’s Top Etsy Sellers Chart
- 10 Household Items that Can Improve Your Food Photography
- 5 Tips for Food Photography
- 10 Tips to Improve Your Food Photography Styling
- Food Photography 101 - In depth!
- Back to Basics Food Photography Lighting & Styling
- Food Photography Tips Gone Wrong - A hilarious look at food photography mishaps
- Lighting Tips and Techniques for Photography
- Fake a Sunshine Efffect in Studio with Artificial Sunlight
- Photographing a Product Outdoors
- Photography Secrets for Shooting in Your Home
- DIY Photography Light Studio Setup - Great tips on lighting, such as using both a CFL and an incandescent bulb
- Making your Product Pop with Bounce Lighting
- Cut, Wrap, and Make Your Silver Jewelry Shine - Easy tutorial on tinfoil bounce cards for spectacularly shiny jewelry
- Ishtar Olivera’s Photo Tutorial Part 1 - Do’s and Don’ts, behind the scenes, DIY bounce panels
Macro (Close Up) Photography
- Achieving Clarity and Crispness in your Photos
- How to get Blurry Backgrounds with a Point and Shoot – Using Macro mode for a blurred background
- Basic Macro Photography for Jewelry – Super clever use of Styrofoam containers to create a lightbox and plenty of post processing tips
- Do’s and Don’ts of Product Photography – Shows off a seller’s growth as a photographer, photos go from blah to WOW
- 10 Etsy Sellers Share Jewelry Photography Tips
- Photos of Jewelry in Natural Sun Light
- Photoshop Tutorial: Creating a White Background
- Photoshop Tutorial: Fake a Background Blur
- How to Use a Lightbox and Photo Editing - DIY light box followed by adjustments in Photoshop
- Photographing Jewelry in Natural Sunlight
- Playing with your Photographs - Blurring and greyscaling the background make the product POP!
- Introduction to White Balance
- Custom In-Camera White Balance Tutorial
- How to get White Balance Correct in Camera Every Time – Exhaustive and detailed guide to in-camera white balance
Got your own tips and advice to share? Share your product photography tips below!